In the early 1900’s outdoor sports, such as golf, was becoming more and more popular. A local group of established gentlemen from Arnprior and Renfrew, recognizing this trend, decided to organize a golf club in the year of 1923. The ideal home of this golf club was 200 acres above Sand Point, located between Arnprior and Renfrew that overlooked the Ottawa River.

Construction of the golf course started in 1924 transforming mixed farmlands and cornfields. Karl Keffer, Golf Professional from the Royal Golf Club in Ottawa, converted these fields into a 9 hole golf course. By 1925, Sand Point Golf Course’s members could tee off and enjoy the new clubhouse. This wooden structure was built by M. Sullivan & Son Limited – a masterpiece designed with the male membership in mind, comprising of a ballroom with high vaulted ceilings, two fireplaces, two balconies, club storage and the locker room above the kitchen. Snacks were enjoyed in an open outdoor sitting area facing the 9th green. This clubhouse served its members for almost 50 years.

During the early years members did their share of contributing to the golf course development by building the caddy hut, painting, assembling the icehouse, and planting seedlings around the course. The local residents and business owners offered a helping hand providing their services or donating equipment.

During WW II the club went through a difficult period, but prevailed and afterwards many improvements were made to the course. The clubhouse and proshop underwent expansion in 1958. In the late 1960’s a practice fairway was developed and a new proshop was built.

In the 1970’s they decided to expand the 100 acre 9 hole golf course to 18 holes and build again a new clubhouse. Overseeing this new construction was project chairmen Stan Reid, John Coady and Lloyd Armstrong. The clubhouse was designed by WE Fancott of Ottawa and constructed under the direction of Dom Sullivan Jr. of M. Sullivan & Son Limited. This undertaking was completed in 1988.

Members and guests enjoyed many years at the Arnprior Golf Club as the course has withstood the test of time. It has maintained its reputation as a premier golf course in the Ottawa Valley.

In the spring of 2015 Robert and Lynn Reid bought the golf course from the debenture holders of the Arnprior Golf Club. First and foremost the Reid family wanted to maintain the golf course and operate it as such for a long time to come. Their business plan included changing the name to Sand Point Golf Course and a major renovation to the clubhouse for enjoyment by the members and guests. The Greenside Tavern opened in June of 2015. New in 2016, our Riverview Room (banquet/tournament venue) has been completely renovated and our new proshop has been relocated to the clubhouse.

This year the Reid Family sold the golf course to Peterborough business man Frank Ye who looks forward to continuing the courses treasured history. The Greenside Tavern will continue to run with its seasoned service and kitchen staff running under Executive Chef Emily Waterston and Bar Manager/Event Coordinator Natalie Cooke.

During the 95-year history of the Arnprior Golf Club many members and local businesses supported the club with their time and money. And the new owner of Sand Point Golf Course and Country Club would like to thank everyone and look forward to our future together.

Scroll to top